Friday, February 10, 2012

Iran and the Bomb -- What, Me Worry?

Yom shishi, 17 Shevat 5772.

My dear Miriam,

You wrote to me, asking me to give you some chizuk about the situation with Iran.  You wanted to hear how we cope, to perhaps pick up a little strength to ward off your own worry for us and for others you love in holy Israel.  And because I love you, I wanted to satisfy that request.  But, of course, I don't know if I can.

Because, you see, you are a very intelligent woman, who keeps abreast of current events, and who understands what is going on in the region and world.  It is perhaps your very intelligence that is your enemy, in this case.

Can I tell you our secret?  You have to be a little brainless to live in Israel.

Now that I have given you a chuckle (I hope), let me explain.  In this case, "brainless" doesn't mean stupid.  It doesn't even mean uninformed.  It just means that we don't use our brains on these issues.  We use our hearts, and our emunah.

I have been taught by wonderful rabbis that G-d keeps is eye on Israel from the North to the South, and all year 'round.  I have been taught that the safest place on the planet in the Last Days for a Torah Jew is Eretz Yisrael.  Living here has only increased my awareness that Hashem involves Himself in our lives on a daily basis; and if we allow this realization to seep in, He doesn't hide this fact from us.  I know that the whole world is in danger.  But I feel secure that Hashem runs the world -- and if only I trust Him, "yihiyeh b'seder," as the Israelis say.  It will be okay.

Thankfully, life is too busy for me to sit around wringing my hands.  The guys come home nearly every weekend and eat everything in the house.  That means cooking and cleaning and listening to stories of their fascinating young lives unfolding.  That means working during the week to make enough money to buy all that food.  I have a job I enjoy; and this marvelous invention of the internet -- as Rabbi Pinchas Winston calls it, the modern version of the Eitz HaDa'as Tov v'Rah -- allows me to talk with friends all over the planet, instantly and in "real time."  What better way to communicate our thoughts and fears, our hopes and dreams, and even the Torah we are learning?  My husband is growing and learning; I have chavrutot to keep me on my toes; I am learning new and healthier ways to eat and to feed my family.  Too much to do!  Baruch Hashem.
Soldier Boy started the stories of adventure when he was in Golani.  Now it's all about his wife and kids.  What could be sweeter than hearing the tales of the next generation's next generation?

Yeshiva Bochur and Stunt Man keep the adventure going in Tzanchanim, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.  Want something to worry about???

Sports Guy and his father now leave a trail of artificial turf berries throughout my home.  Who has time to worry about the fate of the world?  I'll leave that to Bigger Hands.

So you see, my precious friend, I don't have any answers for you.  No matter where we live in this world-going-mad, the only answer is to continue to live.  And living with the knowledge that Hashem is in charge leaves no room for fear.

Can't wait to see you and your dear family here at Home, my sweet friend.

B'ahava,

Ruti

Glossary:
Chizuk: strength
Emunah: trust (in Hashem)
Eitz HaDa'as Tov v'Rah: the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
Chavrutot: learning partners (in my case, for both Torah and Hebrew)
Golani and Tzanchanim: two of the brigades of the IDF

3 comments:

sparrow said...

Ruti, sometimes you leave me speechless with your lovely down to earth, but at the same time heavenly wisdom. Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

What me worry about the bomb? Ani lowanna! Give me the three B's. I do not mean Bibi, Bush, and Bama. I mean bathtub, bubbly, and you babe. As always, a very nice blog. Thanks for writing. For your love, I thank G-d; for me, I thank you.

Yocheved Golani said...

LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emuna is such an emotion-booster!

Yocheved Golani
http://booklocker.com/books/3067.html