Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Jew and the Land

Yom sheni, 3 Iyar 5769.

"The meaning and purpose of Jewish history, and Jewish life, is inextricably bound to the Land of Israel.  I'll say the words again: The meaning and purpose of Jewish history, and Jewish life, is inextricably bound to the Land of Israel. This means that the definition of a spiritually healthy Jewish life is either one that is lived in the Land, or one that is lived in a state of near desperate longing to do so. If you believe these words, if these are your words, the words of your Torah and your guts, then let them fill you. Breathe them in. The meaning and purpose of Jewish history, and Jewish life, is inextricably bound to the Land of Israel."  --  Rabbi Shimon Apisdorf

These words were up on my kitchen wall for years.  They gave me a lot of strength, and a clear goalIt's time to pass them on, or to give them back.

Haveil Havalim #214, The Radiant Ziv edition, is posted at The Rebbetzin's Husband for your edification and enjoyment.

4 comments:

rickismom said...

Gorgeous picture!

bataliyah said...

The picture is gorgeous. But the words "a state of near desperate longing to do so" take my breath away. That's exactly how it feels to be me.

shimon apisdorf said...

ruti,
please daven that we be able to transform our longing into reality very, very soon.
thanks
shimon

Avi said...

I love it here. Thanks for keeping the fire burning in our house my dear Princess. Your soul came home in 1991. Thanks for waiting for me, my beautiful Lady.