Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chez Mizrachi Cleans for Pesach -- Recruits Youth

Yom shishi, 4 Nisan 5770.

I have so much to do.  There is no time to write.  But I really miss this blog -- and I miss talking to you!

So, this will be brief, and to the point.  (Let's face it:  you don't have any more excess time than I do, right?)

How could I possibly get the place cleaned for Pesach without the assistance of my dear sons?



And a short reminder of what is really sababa about living in Israel (because you expect this of me):


This holy book store / music store is in the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem.  The sign says "Great joy, great joy, Spring has arrived, Pesach is coming."  The part of me that enjoys a sense of family, that likes belonging to a large club of like-minded people, is very happy.

Let's take a brief stroll through Yerushalayim together.  There are a few sights I want to share with you.




I know they make caffè latte elsewhere in the world.  But in Israel, "Hafuch" rates as the national beverage -- and as a comment on the national character.  Life may be a little "upside-down" here.  Yihiyeh besder...

Yerushalyaim is The City of Fundraising, to put it gently.  Eventually, everyone has favorite tzedaka collectors.  One of mine is David Hamevorach.  David has a great story.  He used to be an architect in Zurich, Switzerland.  He even helped to make some buildings grow in Tel Aviv.  One day, according to David, he discovered that while he was fabulously successful, he was "soul-less."  He left the slam-bang world of architectural success, moved to Jerusalem, and started to sell his paintings in a small art gallery near the Central Bus Station.

In the Holy City, David was moderately successful as a painter -- but more importantly, he was finding his soul.  He discovered that those buildings hadn't gone up "by my might, and the strength of my hand."  Rather, they were miracles of Hashem.

One Purim, he decided to put his works on display in Ben Yehuda, spicing up the event with a washing cup to collect coins, a child's tambourine, and his own joyful Moshiach-oriented songs, electronically amplified.  People not only forked over some reasonable cash -- he was also repeatedly asked for blessings "by people who thought the gray beard made me look wise.  I'm not a rabbi," he told them.  But that didn't matter.  They wanted his brachot (blessings).  So, why not?  He dispensed brachot, and felt very good about himself and what he was doing with his time.  He kept up this gig.  After a while, grateful "clients" would come back, telling him that his brachot had been successful.

David gave me directions to the gallery to see his art.  "We will come," I said, "but only if it will not be 'ganeivat da'at.'  We don't have money to buy paintings."

"Chas v'shalom!" cried David.  "I don't want you to buy my paintings!  I just want you to see them.  These days," he said, looking Heavenward, "Hashem clearly takes care of all of my needs."  Then he closed our conversation as he always does:  "When you smile for Hashem, you will always be happy."

Enjoy the spirituality of your Pesach preparations.  Enjoy Pesach.  I heard once that if you do nothing else, try to connect to gratitude at the culmination of the Seder.  According to Rabbi Lawrence Kelemen, this act can transport you to higher madreigot than you have ever reached spiritually.

When you smile for Hashem, you will always be happy.

This is my bracha for you.

Glossary:
Pesach:  Passover
Sababa: great, cool
Hafuch: literally "upside down" -- the Israeli name for caffè latte
Yihiyeh beseder: It will be okay.  This is THE Israeli slogan.  It probably keeps us from going insane.
Tzedaka: charity
Moshiach: Messiah
Brachot: blessings
Ganeivat da'at: literally "stealing the mind" -- a Jewish law prohibiting one from leading a merchant to believe one is interested in buying his wares, if he is in fact totally disinterested
Chas v'shalom!: Heaven forbid!
Madreigot: steps, levels, a really great Jewish spiritual rock band

10 comments:

M. Bosley said...

Oh brothers! It makes me so happy to see them that my eyes itch. Thank you Ema!

sparrow said...

Hi sweet friend, I just saw your blog announcement as I was going out of the door to work - but I stopped by anyway. LOVELY POST! I really needed some "upbeat" stuff to cast my eyes on, after a week with very little sleep. Just about keeping going.........I will smile for Hashem today, as every day. Love you lots, Noa Jane

bataliyah said...

Thank you for the joy of:

a) a new blog post from you
b) your crazy son
c) seeing your kitchen again
d) a reminder to be happy

Baila said...

As a mother of daughters, I love it that you are training your sons to clean for Pesach! Great post...

westbankmama said...

Ruti - I knew Pesach cleaning would never be the same when my oldest son was big enough to move the refrigerator for me....I am very sure that your wonderful boys do a lot of helping, in addition to headstands...

Batya said...

Fantastic post. Chag sameach!

Anonymous said...

so glad you are back

rutimizrachi said...

M. Bosley: Thank you, Sweetheart. Now you know how I feel when I see photos of Lil and MoJo!

Sparrow: Hang in there, Girlfriend. Thanks so much for stopping by.

BatAliyah: Can't wait until you are in my kitchen again, making me laugh.

WBM: I got the full effect of having them around the year my back went out just before Pesach -- and they did ALL the cleaning. I -- and they -- learned just how amazing they are.

Batya and Anonymous: Thank you for the kind words. It's good to be writing again.

rutimizrachi said...

Oh, Baila! I jumped right by, and forgot to say hi. Yes -- we have always told them that we are not raising sons, we are raising husbands. :-)

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Ruti darling, thanks for the great post! I have met your favorite zedaka man. He refused to take money from me, insisted that *I* bless *HIM* and we were b'simcha, together. Wonderful moment. :)

Now someone explain how Blogger knew? The word verification word is 'dishes'