Wednesday, July 21, 2010

When chutzpah is a good thing

Yom revi'i, 10 Av 5770.

Arthur Rosenberg, 83 in 2004

"Nachamu, nachamu Ami."  (Isaiah 40:1)  "Console, console My people." To help to ease ourselves out of the sadness of Tisha B'Av, I want to share this video with you.  You will still cry -- but at least some of the tears will be for good things, such as the courage of these elderly people, the kindness and efficiency of the staff, the fact that these dear people are alive to walk in the Holy Land even though some of their parents were brutally murdered during the Shoah.  My "good tears" were for these things -- and for the way Israel greeted them warmly and with the great kavod (respect) they have earned.  It is just a small part of the tikkun (repair) we must do, if we are to witness the rebuilding of our Holy Temple.


Hat tip: Rebecca Chesner

May we share the day when the elderly will walk freely about Israel, and the children will play in the streets, in freedom and peace.

"Never again with there come from [Jerusalem] a young child or an old man who will not fill his days..." (Isaiah 65:20)

"Thus said Hashem, Master of legions: Old men and old women will once again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with his staff in his hand...and the streets of the city will be filled with boys and girls playing..." (Zechariah 8:4-5)

8 comments:

Sharon R said...

Love it!!!

Caren said...

Thank you Ruti and Rebecca. What an inspiration with which to continue my day. May we all be together next year in Israel.
Caren

Miryam H. said...

Kol Hakavod, Ruti! This is wonderful.
Where did you find this? It is so inspiring. Now, if only they decided to stay here! That would be a Chutzpa Mission!

simajean said...

Awesome, Ruti. (Gotta get there...gotta get there...)Debbie Drelich, featured in the video as the director of RiverWalk, is my daughter-in-law's mom. I love your blog! And you!

Susan

Hersh Leventhal said...

My aunt and my wife's grandmother
both were at the Hebrew Home of
Riverdale and I know what it would
have meant to them if it were
done during their time. As someone
who has worked with the aged I am
sure the trip extended their lives
and gave them something to reminice
about.

Sheyna Ariel said...

Wow. I am blown away and very touched. This is amazing. Thanks for posting.

saralapping said...

WOW. I don't know what else to say...so moving.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Beautiful. I've been meaning to get to this and I'm glad I did. It was my oldest daughter who recommended that I see it.

Rafi Ben Hur, who appears near the beginning (from the Ministry of Tourism) is from Ma'aleh Adumim.

I might be mistaken, but I think my mother's father was in that home in the 60's.