Saturday, January 8, 2011

Todah Rebuffed

Yom rishon, 4 Shevat 5771.

One of our successful parenting techniques in the realm of aliyah with our teenangels was to remind them how much we love them, and want them to be comfortable.  "If Heinz ketchup makes aliyah easier for you, we will buy it.  And that goes for any products that you miss from America.  Just remember that if the US ever decides on an embargo against Israel, it will be the only embargo that has ever been consistently adhered to in history, and the products you love might not be permitted in.  So try to be flexible.  Abba and I are trying to train ourselves to do without American stuff."  The project was successful.  Our kids knew we cared about their feelings; but in a short time, they said things like "Heinz just doesn't taste as good as Osem."  Little by little, the whole family has started to prefer most things Israeli -- though Stunt Man always smiles broadly when someone brings him a gift of Planter's Peanuts.

There is one American commodity I would like to convince the Israelis to import, however.  That American product is "Thank you."
"Todah" means "thank you" in Hebrew.

Now, lest you think that I am speaking sarcastically from a place of not receiving sufficient gratitude -- quite the contrary!  I am actually talking about the almost obsessive inability of Israelis to accept the humble "todah."

I was in the US army, as was my husband.  "Blue" states, such as Maryland, don't make it public practice to show effusive gratitude to military service members -- at least not in the cities, and not at the airport.  So when I flew to Dallas for my work years ago, I was struck dumb and got a lump in my throat the size of Texas when I saw tens of people applauding soldiers who stepped off a flight from Afghanistan.  Since that time, I go out of my way to tell a kid in uniform that I appreciate what he is doing for us.  You should see the shy, sweet smiles I get from young US soldiers when they hear that message.

Naturally, since I've come to live in Israel, I am deeply grateful to the boys and girls who guard our borders and our cities, and make it possible for me to sleep at night.  I often say to an IDF soldier, "Todah al ha-sherut shelcha la-aretz sheylanu!"  Thank you for your service to our country.  If he is a child of immigrants, the soldier "gets it," and is grateful for my gratitude.  But if he's been in Israel for several generations, the conversation might go like this:

"About what?  What did I do?"

Your military service, defending our country."

[Closeup to look of total incredulity:]  "Everybody does it.  You have to."

"That doesn't mean I can't be grateful."  [Incredulity deepens here.]  "It is halacha for you to treat your wife with respect.  That doesn't mean she can't show gratitude that you do."  [Incredulity lightens only slightly at this point.]

"America'im," he says, with a shake of the head.

"Yeah -- can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em," I respond, quoting my favorite Tom Arnold line from the movie True Lies.  Now he really doesn't understand me, as few jokes translate easily between languages; so the conversation is over.

A sweet variation on this conversation happens when I go out with organizations such as Standing Together to take pizza and ice cream or hot soup to the soldiers at various checkpoints throughout Israel.  When we thank them, they immediately turn the gratitude back on us:  "No, we are thankful to you!  It's you who are doing so much!"

Rabbi Yisroel Miller, a prolific author on Jewish topics and nephew of the late Rav Avigdor Miller, says it something like this.  It is hard for human beings to accept gratitude.  We tend to say things like "it's not that big a deal," or "I didn't do so much."  Rav Miller says that when someone says "thank you" to us, there is only one correct response:  "You're welcome."

My rav, Rabbi Menachem Goldberger, goes Rav Miller one better (in my humble opinion).  When someone says thank you to him, Rav Goldberger says "Baruch tihiyeh."  This expression accepts the thank you, and reflects blessings back onto the person who expressed gratitude, sort of "you're welcome" with a bracha.

It is important for Jews to be grateful, and to share that gratitude.  Our very name -- Yehudi -- comes from the Hebrew word for gratitude.  Gratitude is fundamental to who we are, and means so much more than "thx."  It means admission that we know someone has given us a hand.  It means acknowledgement that we can't function without each other.  Without this small word, we fail to be as civilized as Hashem has asked us to be.

The Dearly Beloved pointed out another fact about rebuffed gratitude.  As Rabbi David Fohrman explains (in a long lecture that I cannot do justice to in this short essay), the reason it is hard for us to say "thank you" is that it creates an imbalance between us, one that our egos cannot easily countenance.  When we say "you're welcome," we are back in balance again.  (It works that way with "I'm sorry" as well.)  I paid you for the favor you did for me by acknowledging it.  If you refuse my thanks, the imbalance remains.

So while I'm not sure that we need every American product -- some expressions are a little more superficial than the Israelis can handle, and more power to them for that -- I would like to see the good ol' USA's heavy usage of the gratitude exchange become more prevalent here.

Our soldiers, airmen, sailors, policemen and firemen deserve to hear it.  So do our teachers and rabbis, our friends and spouses, and especially our children.  As the Dearly Beloved says to our sons:  "World peace begins at our table."

11 comments:

David Eastman said...

Incredible! A very important message. As we leave our "Americanisms" at the airport, we need to bring a few with us. Lat us enhance this country with some "good ol' USA's heavy usage of gratitude exchange." Who knows maybe that was the 'sparks of kedusha' we were suppose to pick up and bring home!

Hillel Levin said...

Thanks Sis.

Hillel

sparrow said...

Oh Ruti, you just made my day. What a great post. Lots to think about.
When I worked in the Arabian Gulf, I was surrounded by Asians who were basically slave labour. It used to break my heart the way they were treated by the majority of the population. I used to go out of my way to say thank you to the window cleaners and rubbish collectors in our neighbourhood. The security guy in our building was like a son to me. Precious people and totally overlooked. The words "thank you" have great power.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

It's not just about the soldiers. :) I find it hard to get anyone that I'm paying to accept a heartfelt 'thank you' (except bus drivers, who need to hear a lot MORE than thank you, which they just ignore as perfunctory, which it usually is). Even my cleaning lady, who has been with us for over 15 years ans is really like an aunt to my kids in many ways, when I say thank you she gets confused. But you are paying me!

I think the attitude here is that gratitude is reserved for the volunteer stuff. Stuff you have to do (because you are drafted or it's otherwise your job) does not require gratitude. But I completely agree with you.

Furthermore, Shmuel Greenbaum of www.partnersinkindness.com teaches that through gratitude towards human beings we come to gratitude towards our creator.

So, THANK YOU Ruti for another awesome post. :)

rickismom said...

Yeah, we prefer the Osem also...
The best and easiest way to respond to a compliment , also, is to say "Thanks" It will give the person giving the compliment joy.

rutimizrachi said...

EW: Beautifully said. Thank you for reading and commenting -- and for your own passionate writing.

Hillel: You're welcome, Bro. :-)

Sparrow: You are so right! People need so much to be appreciated. Nice examples.

YSRM: Oh, yeah... thanks for reminding me about bus drivers. I agree. It is clearly a cultural thing. Though I have even had to remind Americans that if you do a "mitzvah job," the fact that you get paid for it doesn't diminish its mitzvah value (according to my rav). Thanks for mentioning Shmuel Greenbaum, who has done much to add to the kindness in the world.

Rickismom: Thank you for an inadvertent correction: I believe that Rav Miller was indeed talking about accepting compliments; and his answer was much more like what you said. I think it's all related, though... So I'm gonna run with the original. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Shavua tov from Pittsburgh.We are fortunate to have been the congregants of Rabbi Miller all the years he lived here.He was my teacher and my rav. I continue to remember and pass on to others the teachings and insights that he gave us. I thanked him many times for all that he did for me personally,but probably not enough.

Leslie Itskowitz

Mrs. S. said...

As always, beautifully said! Indeed, the Hebrew responses to "thank you" back you up:
* Al lo davar ("for nothing") and shtuyot ("nonsense") speak for themselves.
* B'keif (literally, "with fun") and b'simchah ("gladly") are both ways of saying, "Since I enjoyed doing it, you don't have to thank me."
* And even b'vakashah - the closest equivalent to "you're welcome" - is also the word for "please". In other words, "You did ME the favor by letting me do this for you..."

P.S. The Shiputzim family also prefers Osem ketchup! :-)

Jack said...

Gratitude for service is always nice. I also make a point of thanking our soldiers for their service.

Anonymous said...

That was a beautifully written piece! Some of us "Amerikayim" take saying thank you for granted. A lot of us say it without even thinking about it. But now you've made me think, and I hope my thank yous will be a little more heartfelt, said with more intent than habit. Thanks!

Shalomis said...

A wonderful, well-written post, my friend. I agree with Shmuel Greenbaum. The more we express gratitude to each other, the easier it is to express gratitude to our Creator, the One to whom all thanks and praise is due. It's sort of like...if we respect a king on Earth, how much more so will we respect the King of the Universe.
Thanks for sharing your thought-provoking insights!